It looks like a cake, but actually, it is a grand, wholemeal sandwich. When you want to make a fun, but nutritive dinner for the kids, or you’re having some guests but have little time- this would be a perfect choice. If you let it stay for a couple of hours in the fridge- the texture will become better, and the tastes will upgrade.
You will need some pretty basic ingredients, but if you are artists in your heart- this is the perfect canvas for you.
So, for the basic recipe you will need (2 servings) :
- 4 slices of squared soft bread (it’s better to use a bread with some whole wheat)
- 4 full tablespoons of garlic aioli or aioli mixed with minced garlic
- 1 small can of tuna
- 1 small, chopped onion (I prefer the red onion, it’s sweeter)
- 2 finely chopped pickles
- 1 grilled, peeled and finely chopped sweet pepper (you can stick it in the oven for about 40 minutes and peel it while still hot. it is great by itself or seasoned with salt, lemon, and olive oil). Alternatively- use a canned one, they are not bad at all.
- Mix 2 spoons of aioli with the rest of the ingredients (besides the bread), you can prepare it the day before.
- Flatten the bread with a rolling pin (or an empty wine bottle =) )
- Place one piece of bread on the serving plate.
- Cover with about 2 -3 spoons of the mixture, then cover with bread. Repeat while making sure that the last layer is made of bread.
- Cut the bread crust around so you have a perfect square.
- With a knife or a palette, cover the square with the rest of the aioli.
- Decorate as you wish.
- Store covered in the fridge for a few hours.
My version for adults- add some anchovies in the mixture, serve with a cold beer!